From sports halls to supermarkets, theatres to airport terminals, here at Neptunus we have the temporary structure you need. No matter your requirements, we can help you. Offering you a fast, cost-effective, flexible and environmentally friendly turnkey solution.
What is a temporary building?
Temporary buildings are structures that consist of repeated sections, or modules. These sections can be constructed at one location and then transferred to another, where they are put together to create temporary structures, making them a fast and efficient way of creating more space for any project or site.
Our temporary buildings are fully insulated and simulate the look and feel of a permanent building, while they can be used for a whole host of applications, including warehousing, dining halls, exhibition centres, showrooms and sports halls. Their temporary status means they can also quickly be removed and re-let elsewhere once the initial customer no longer has any need for it, or they can be purchased for those looking for a longer-term solution.
Why might a temporary building be required?
There are a number of reasons why a temporary building may be required. It could be that you’re extending or refurbishing your current place of work and require a temporary structure whilst work is on-going. Or it may be that an existing building no longer meets your requirements.
You might require a temporary building to house an exciting project you’re working on, or you might need one following building damage caused by a disaster such as fire or flooding.
Whatever your reasons for requiring a temporary building structure, we have a whole host of structure styles and sizes that can be adapted for virtually any use.
Why choose a temporary building?
Temporary buildings are ideal for those looking for a flexible solution, not only with how long it can be used for, but also in its design and execution. Offering a fast, high-quality and cost-effective way for any business to increase their space, temporary buildings can be adapted and changed as needs change.
Here at Neptunus, we understand that every client is different and that’s why we tailor our products and services to meet your individual needs. You’ll find a whole host of temporary structures, including warehouses, showrooms, sports halls and even housing available from our range.
And thanks to our clever modular design, we can extend, incorporate mezzanine levels, and build extra compartments.
- Evolution: We’ve been developing our cutting-edge Evolution technology for over two decades. Its hydraulic lifting technology ensures a surprisingly fast building time. Featured with an aluminium spaceframe, wide free span, insulated wall and roof panels and raised cassette floor our Evolution is suitable for both long- and short-term use.
- Flexolution: Our Flexolution series goes one step further towards a permanent building. This series of products complies with the European building regulations for temporary buildings and is fully sustainable, demountable and re-usable. It consists of aluminium columns, characterised laminated wooden beams and insulated walls with excellent acoustic values.
- Alure Globe: Featuring a modern aesthetic, the Alure Globe is the ideal solution for a temporary shop, showroom, reception area or conference room.
- Alu Hall: With virtually limitless possibilities, the Alu Hall is a versatile aluminium framed semi-permanent structure.
- Mezzanine: Create extra space with an upper floor. Our Mezzanine collection not only creates additional space but provides a viewing platform and can enhance the overall ambience of an interior.
- Canopies: Extensions features connected to the side of structures for loading points or entrance/egress.
Why choose Neptunus?
When you choose Neptunus to provide you with a temporary building, you’re choosing the best in engineering and manufacturing. We’re a company with a proud heritage having worked on projects globally and we’re renowned for providing high-quality temporary structures. Fast!
Just as businesses must adapt to change, so too do we, which is why we’re continuously developing our temporary solutions, ensuring they’re more sustainable than ever and better able to adapt to the individual needs of our clients.
- Experience: Founded in 1937, we have been providing temporary buildings in the UK and further afield for decades.
- Versatility: Our temporary facilities can be used on a whole host of projects.
- Family-run: Neptunus is now in the third generation of the family, so you can be sure you’re dealing with a company that remains true to its core values and delivers a service with a personal touch.
- Take the lead: We can fulfil the role of Principal Contractor, leading the project from beginning to end.
- In–house: From engineering to build, maintenance and dismantling, Neptunus’ in-house team does it all.
- Reliability: Safety is of paramount importance to us, which is why all our temporary buildings are manufactured to European Standard. We are also proud members of MUTA (Made Up Textiles Association) and CHAS (Contractors Health & Safety Assessment Scheme).
- Sustainability: Sustainability is crucial to us, so all our temporary buildings are rated Energy Label A, helping to keep costs to a minimum. All our structures are fully reusable and recyclable.
How long does it take to build a temporary building?
The answer to this question really depends on the nature of your project and the modular buildings you require. Our structures are readily available and quick to install. Subject to availability of stock we can be commencing on site within weeks of a signed contract. The maximum lead time is 13 weeks, but the actual construction time required will depend on the final specification of the temporary building, the conditions on the site and any ground works required.
How long can a temporary structure be used for?
There really is no time limit – our temporary buildings can be in use for anything from just a couple of days to several weeks, months or years. We have examples of structures that have been in place for more than 10 years, including the sports hall at Fontys University which has now become a permanent fixture.
Can a temporary structure be relocated or extended?
Yes, absolutely. The beauty of our modular structures is that they can easily be expanded or moved to another site with minimum fuss.
For example, the same portable building was used in the neighbouring towns of Lorentzweiler and Strassen in Luxembourg, both of whom needed a temporary structure while they renovated their sports halls. After Lorentzweiler reopened their facility, the building was moved 13 kilometres down the road and rebuilt in Strassen.
Furthermore, our work with Hamstel Infants and Junior Schools showcased our ability to extend our modular buildings, increasing the space on offer to include a sports hall for the junior school as an addition to the physical education and dining hall we’d provided to the infant school.
Do I need planning permission for temporary buildings?
In general, planning permission for temporary buildings is needed if you intend on keeping your temporary building erected for more than 28 days.
Planning permission for temporary buildings is required if:
- It materially affects the external appearance of the building; or
- Comes within five metres of the boundary of the site; or
- Reduces the amount of space available for parking or turning of vehicles
Planning permission for temporary buildings isn’t normally required if:
- It is less than 100 square metres of floor space; and
- Less than 25% of the volume of the original building; and
- It is below the height of the original building
- The structure must be related to the current use of the building or the provision of staff facilities
If you’d like to know more about the regulations regarding temporary building hire, please feel free to get in touch with our expert, friendly team, who’ll be happy to talk things through.
Is retrospective temporary structure planning permission possible?
If you go ahead without temporary structure planning permission, the local council may ask you to make a retrospective planning application. If the council rejects the application, you may be required to remove the temporary structure and put the site back to the way it was before.
Should this occur you can appeal the decision. However, we would always recommend seeking planning permission for temporary buildings before erection. If you have any questions, you can get in touch and we can talk through all your options.
Do building regulations apply for temporary structures?
Building regulations for temporary structures still apply, but we can help you with that! Our work on Oxford University’s Trinity College or Temporary Airport Terminal Berlin Schönefeld are fine examples of how we used all our skill and expertise to deliver the perfect solution while complying with legal requirements.
Are temporary buildings environmentally friendly?
All our relocatable buildings are fully reusable, complying with Energy Label A. The components and materials we use are recyclable, so you can be sure that by coming to Neptunus you’ll be gaining a great service and doing your bit for the environment.
We’re committed to doing our bit for the environment and are continuously adapting and evolving not only our temporary structure materials, but the processes we use for building and maintaining the structures to ensure they’re as green as possible.
But rest assured that being environmentally friendly has in no way affected the quality or comfort of our buildings. You’ll find all our structures are insulated and soundproof.
Do I have to buy the temporary structure?
Just like our temporary structures offer your business flexibility, so too do our payment options. You can hire or purchase the temporary building, as well as initially hiring your temporary building and purchasing it later.
When you hire a relocatable building with us, your costs are clear and you benefit from the very best flexibility, risk free, with no obligation to purchase at the end of your contract date.
How do I find out more about temporary buildings?
If you’d like more information on modular temporary buildings and how we can help you create the extra space you need for your project, please don’t hesitate to get in touch. Our expert, professional team are always on hand to discuss your needs and find a solution that suits you.